WHAT’S YOUR BIGGEST FASHION SPLURGE EVER?

A couple of days ago, MTV Twitter J and Fatshion blogger Gabi Fresh had a post on Glamour about making her very first high-end shoe purchase—a pair of red bottom heels.

Though the plus style icon isn’t one to follow celebrity trends, she said she fell in love with Christian Louboutin’s Unbout Illusion pumps after seeing them on a few different gossip blogs, and at 25 she figured:

“It’s about time for a classic grown up pair of heels.”

So, to Barney’s she went and became the proud owner of the $795 pair of pumps which are now completely out of stock. Win!

Gabi’s experience made me think about my own first big fashion splurge. Like her, I spent my ends on footwear, although the pair was nowhere near as expensive as the ones she bought. I walked into Nordstrom and decided I’d try to just find a trendy, fun pair of pumps I really liked without paying attention to the price tag and I walked out with a pair of snake print Steve Madden stilettos for about $125. For someone who doesn’t like to spend on shoes because I don’t take care of them, that was big.

Most of us try to get the most bang for our buck when we need a little retail therapy but there are times when we see something we just have to have and inhibitions go out the door and ramen noodles come in as we justify as purchase. As long as you don’t break the bank, there’s nothing wrong with a little splurge in the name of style every now and then. At least that’s what we tell ourselves when we hand our hard-earned money over to the cashier.

                   SANTIGOLD SHINES IN SPIN MAGAZINE.
If you know anything about Santigold, you’re aware that she’s a woman who doesn’t fit into a mold when it comes to her artistry or fashion. The singer/songwriter is making her return to the music scene after a much-missed absence, and though you might have thought she fell off during her departure. Santigold says never that.

The 35-year-old says she’s always had a way of making things happen and when it comes to her highly anticipated return with Master of My Make-Believe, there’s nothing about her rise to success that’s a fantasy.

In the May/June issue of Spin magazine, the artist, born Santi White, revealed a very simple key to her long-awaited return after four years away from the industry.

“I’ve always had dreams that come true and no understanding or control of it. It’s not until you learn to silence the clutter that you can pay attention to the coincidences.”

Santigold’s success is certainly no coincidence, neither is her eclectic style. Santi talks about going from an all-white girl school in the eighth grade to a public high school with a mix of people for her freshman year, and then a Quaker school for the next three years and realizing she didn’t have to switch her up her style for the people around her.

“I was like, ‘I don’t have to be this way or this way or this way.’ I am really comfortable in all these environments and with all these different people. So I made it my business to find every scene in Philadelphia — house-music parties, college parties. I was a connector, because all these different people would never hang out together, but they’d be together with me.

“That’s what my music does. And that’s what I realized.”

                        
                               LOOK OF THE DAY



Comments

Post a Comment